There are endless ways to sell your Coins or any other R5 coin for that matter, but these 8 methods seem to be the most popular. So, without further ado, here are some places to sell your R5 Coins.
- Facebook Marketplace
- Junk Mail
- Local Coin Shows
This is by far our favorite way to sell R5 Coins. BidorBuy has provided a safe online selling platform since 1999. They get thousands of visitors each day and in our opinion, this is going to give you the best chance of a successful sale.
You can also use BidorBuy to get an idea of the value of your coin. Simply go to BidorBuy.co.za, then search for your exact coin. Look for a coin that is similarly graded to yours. This will be a good starting point for the value of your coin.
BidorBuy also has an integrated payment system which eliminates the chances of getting scammed out of your coin.
The only down side of BidorBuy is that they take a small “success fee” when your Coin is sold, which is basically their commission. I believe this is a fair price to pay for the service they give, and it helps that the money is only deducted AFTER your coin has already been sold, so there is not money required upfront. (Unless you ask for extra ad features which is not necessary)
How to sell your R5 Coin on BidorBuy – Step 1, Register an Account.
- Go to the BidorBuy.co.za registration page. [CLICK HERE]
- Under “Join bidorbuy”, enter your information and click “Create account”
- You can now log in to your BidorBuy account using the email address and password that you provided
- Make sure you verify your email address by opening the email that they sent you and clicking on the link they provided.
How to sell your R5 Coin on BidorBuy – Step 1, Make a listing.
- Click “My BidorBuy” then click on “Sell an Item”
- Enter all the details of your R5 coin in the fields provided. I would recommend you to click the box “allow offers” to increase your chance of selling your coin. Also, be sure to upload a photo of the coin using the feature provided on the page. Then click “Next”
- On this page, you choose your payment options and shipping method, but you can leave these as they are preset. Click “Review listing” to continue.
- On this last page, you can use optional enhancements. This is usually not necessary. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the box to agree to the terms and conditions, then click “Save listing”.
Second, on our list of best places to sell your Coin is GumTree.co.za. This platform is completely free, with additional features available for a price, but are not necessary for our purpose. Gumtree has been around since 2000 and is well known for it’ easy to use platform that is well organized and you can find just about anything on there.
The R5 coin is no exception. Let go through the process of registering and selling your Coin on Gumtree.
You do need to be careful when selling your Coin on Gumtree because there will be scammer trawling the site for rare items like this.
Always make sure the money is cleared in your account before sending the coin to the buyer. If you are meeting the buyer in person, make sure it is in a busy public area such as a busy mall with good security.
How to sell your R5 Coin on GumTree
- Go to Gumtree.co.za and register an account using your email address.
- Check your email address and verify it using the link in the email they sent you.
- Now go back to the GumTree website and log in using the email and password you provided when you registered.
- At the top right of the page, click “Post FREE Ad”.
- Click all categories, then you can start to enter all the details of your Coin. You also enter your location and carefully select “Home & Garden” then the sub-category “Antiques & Collectables”
- Be sure to enter the asking price and upload some nice photos of your coin with good light!
3. Facebook Marketplace
99% of us have a Facebook account, and if you have the Facebook APP on your phone, then listing your Coin is going to be very quick and easy. So easy in fact, that I don’t even need to give you instructions.
Here is a short video though that will help you through the process.
As with GumTree, there is no integrated payment system. This means you must make sure that the payment is cleared into your account and available before sending the coin to the buyer.
And again, if you are meeting the person, make sure you meet then a safe place! This also applies to these following methods of sale.
OLX is a slightly newer platform that was started in 2006. It is very similar to GumTree, and it is also easy to use. It does not get as many visitors but it is still worth adding your Coin on this site to get extra exposure.
How to sell your Coin on OLX
- Go to OLX.co.za and register an account at the top right corner of the page.
- Once you have registered an account. Click “SELL” at the top right to make a listing for your R5 coin.
- Choose the category “Hobbies & Interests” and the sub-category “Art, Collectibles & Rare Items”
- Now you will be asked to enter some details about yourself and the coin that you are selling. Make sure you enter all this information as accurately as you can and be sure to upload some nice photos of your Coin.
- Once you have finished, click “POST NOW” at the bottom to finish your listing on OLX.
We are going to show you how to advertise your Coin for free on Junkmail.co.za
Junkmail is one of the oldest listing platforms and has been around since 1992, however, the platform is not as easy to use as some of the other methods described above. I would recommend you add your Coin anyway because it can only increase your chances of finding a legitimate buyer.
How to Sell Your Coin on Junkmail
- Go to junkmail.co.za and at the top right, click “REGISTER FOR FREE”
- Enter your email and create a new password for your new Junkmail account, then click “REGISTER”
- Now go back the main page of Junkmail and at the top right, click “Place a FREE Ad”
- I now recommend you choose the category “Home, Garden & DIY” and the sub-category “Antiques & Collectables”
- Now, enter all the required information carefully and make sure you upload a nice-looking photo of your Coin to make the best possible impression.
- Click “Submit Advert”
eBay is not a South African website, which can be positive because it will give your Coin exposure to coin collectors from other countries. Bear in mind that you will have to make sure you budget for a courier service if it is sold to an, overseas buyer. This can be expensive.
eBay was founded in 1995 and is one of the most popular websites in the world. This platform is highly secure, and it has its own integrated payment system as well which is great for you as a seller.
How to sell your Coin on eBay
- Go to eBay.com
- Click “Register” at the top LEFT of the home page.
- Enter your details as requested and then click “Create Account”
- Now go to your email address and click on the verification link that they sent you.
- Go back to eBay.com and log in to your account by clicking on “Sign in” at the top left of the website.
- Now you should be able to make a listing by clicking on the “Sell” button at the top left.
- Now follow the step-by-step process to create a listing for your Coin. Make sure you add some good photos to give the best impression of your coin.
7. Local Coin Shows
Coin shows are hosted by a number of different organizations throughout the year and in most towns and cities in South Africa. A quick search on Google will help you find any upcoming shows bringing great opportunities to buy, sell, and learn about all kinds of rare coins, including the R5 coin.
Regularly check the following websites for upcoming events near you.
- SA Coin Collectors Group on Facebook
- South African Mint
- Cyber Metals – Coin Shows
- South African Association of Numismatic Dealers
There is a lot of controversy about the value of Coins, as well as other R5 coins. Some people insist that they are only worth R5, while others are confident that they can sell for thousands of rands, sometimes hundreds of thousands of rands.
The fact of the matter is, that these coins are selling for high amounts if they are in good condition and have been graded sufficiently. If you have established that this is the case for your coin, then you certainly will be looking to sell it.
Finding a buyer can be simple. With the right knowledge and tools, as well as a bit of effort, finding a buyer for your Coin doesn’t have to be difficult. There are many platforms available to help you reach out to buyers such as BidorBuy, Gumtee, Facebook and more.
Safety first, always! Please, when selling your coin online, make sure that the money is cleared in your account before sending the coin to the buyer. Scammers can cash a bad check into your account and it will look like the money is in your account, but it really isnt and will get reversed after a few days when the check doesn’t clear.
If you are meeting the buyer in person, make sure you meet them in a safe place with lots of people around, such as a busy mall with good security.
Be Patient… If you don’t get any responses, don’t allow yourself to be discouraged. Just be persistent, these things take time, and the one who keeps trying eventually succeeds. Patience is the key.
Good Luck! I hope this article has helped you to get the ball rolling and I want to wish you good luck with the sale of your Coin.